EHR Incentive Payments
Stimulus Plan EHR Incentive Payments
Why it’s important.
Focused on EHR technologies, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) includes over $60B designated to stimulate the adoption of health care IT (HIT) by the medical community over the next few years. On July 13, 2010, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued its final rule on the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs under Medicare and Medicaid. According to the Act, Physicians are eligible to receive up to $44,000 in total incentives per physician from Medicare for the "meaningful use" of a certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) starting in 2011. Eligible Professionals reimbursed by Medicaid can receive up to $63,750 starting in 2011 for the meaningful use of a certified EHR. Find out how MediOasis certified EHR can help you obtain maximum stimulus dollars. With unprecedented incentives of up to $44,000 for Medicare eligible Physicians and up to $63,750 for Medicaid Eligible Professionals implementing electronic health records (EHR), there is a lot of interest on behalf of medical practices to learn more about the 2009 Stimulus Plan and how they can benefit from it. Therefore, we have created this site as an information center covering some of the most commonly asked questions on the final rule and the EHR Incentive Programs.
You Can Trust Our Experience & Expertise
Our experienced team of implementation coordinators have years of on-the-ground health care experience. With such in-depth background and industry knowledge, we are uniquely able to direct and guide you through the application setup, training and EDI process, making sure the right Medi Oasis resources are on hand so that your transition to our practice automation tools is as smooth and as seamless as possible. Our staff will walk you through the process and get you the maximum EHR incentive payments.
EHR: The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Care Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provide incentive payments to eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
Medicaid EHR Incentive Program:
- Run by Your State Medicaid Agency
- Maximum incentive amount is $63,750
- Payments over 6 years, does not have to be consecutive
- No payment adjustments for providers who are only eligible for the Medicaid program
- In the first year providers can receive an incentive payment for adopting, implementing, or upgrading EHR technology. Providers must demonstrate meaningful use in the remaining years to receive incentive payments.
Who is an Eligible Professional under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program?
Eligible professionals under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program include:
- Physicians (primarily doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathy)
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Physician assistant who furnishes services in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Clinic that is led by a physician assistant.
To qualify for an incentive payment under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, an eligible professional must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 30% Medicaid patient volume*
- Have a minimum 20% Medicaid patient volume, and is a pediatrician*
- Practice predominantly in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Center and have a minimum 30% patient volume attributable to needy individuals
- Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) patients do not count toward the Medicaid patient volume criteria.
- Have EHR platform in place (where practice fusion software come's into play)